1. Why did you join CREWBaltimore? What makes CREWBaltimore different?
I joined CREW Baltimore because I felt an immediate connection to its community. Members went out of their way to welcome me and encourage me to get involved. Plus, the programming and networking opportunities are excellent.
2. How long have you been a CREWBaltimore member / member company?
I have been a member for four years.
3. In 2-3 sentences, what do you want CREWBaltimore members to know about your company?
Rear Admiral Grace Hopper once said, “The most dangerous phrase in the language is, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’” Budova’s mission is to smash that notion – that things should continue as is even if the process isn’t working or doesn’t make sense – while making sure buildings get built better and operate smarter.
3. Which CREWBaltimore event have you most enjoyed in the past year and why?
Oh, that’s a tough one. There are many to choose from. Honestly, I enjoyed them all because I genuinely look forward to seeing and spending time with the other members. If I had to pick one, I would say our iconic Women of Influence event. The room was packed, the energy was palpable, and the panelists and moderator knocked it out of the park.
5. Best weekend activity in Baltimore?
My current answer would have to be hiking. My family has gone hiking pretty much every week since March. That takes us outside of the Baltimore area, but that is how we have been spending our weekends recently.
6. What are the benefits of women supporting women in the CRE industry?
There is nothing better! It is crucial for us to support one another now more than ever. We are on the cusp of change. I don’t believe we have turned the corner yet, but it is on the horizon. It is our duty to continue to fight for each other. This shouldn’t be confined to a particular industry, though. Women need to support women. Period.
7. Best book or article you’ve read that had you fired up to take on the day/week/year at work?
I recently read Between the World and Me and White Fragility back to back. Saying I was fired up isn’t the right expression. But a compassionate spark that always lives within me was reignited. Both books made me ponder things, made me more mindful, and made me want to do better.
8. Which CREWBaltimore event are you most excited about this year ?
We have the most exciting programming planned for 2021! Our theme is going to be “Reinventing & Reinvesting in Baltimore,” and we’re going to have a Neighborhood Series with an event each quarter that focuses on a different area of Baltimore. This is something people are not going to want to miss.
9. Tell us about a project, program or initiative that your company will be working on in 2020. 
Budova is working with Whiting-Turner, SmithGroup, and ECS [among others] on the incredible Health and Life Sciences Building at Anne Arundel Community College. It is a 175,000 SF, three-story project with over 40 labs, a greenhouse, and both academic and student spaces. It is projected to be complete in August of 2021. The school’s tagline for it is that they “are busy building a bright future” for their students, and Budova loves being a part of that.